How to paint a Dahlia Moonfire Flower with Aquamarkers, pt. 2; the petals

This tutorial blog explains how to paint the Dahlia Moonfire flower in 2 stages, and this blog is all about how to paint the flower petals with Aquamarkers (water-based ink markers). With the background done, I wanted to paint the warm colours of the flower with Aquamarkers, giving me a watercolour effect to the piece.

photo (3)

DAHLIA MOONFIRE: The Flower!

So, after the first stage I had a brown textured background, made more exciting through the use of salt on the Aquamarkers. I had to start on the yellow petals of the Dahlia and I decided to use a, ‘wet-on-dry,’ approach. This means that I wanted to lay down a yellow background on the petals and let that dry before adding any of the shadows areas or richer colours.

photo 2 compressed

So, after brushing all the excess salt off the paper, I added the yellow to each of the petals. I used Gold Ochre, a really rich, warm yellow on each of the petals and coloured a part of each petal, one at a time. By colouring just a part of the petal, I got ‘drying lines’ that hopefully looked like natural ‘creases’ in the surface of the petals (see photo).

photo 1 (3)

Painting a part of each petal at a time created the ‘drying lines’ that I wanted

Once each of the petals was finished and had dried out, I added the other colours, using the dry Gold Ochre as a ‘base colour’. The other colours I used on the petals were Flame RedRaspberry, & Bitterwood

photo 2 (3)I used these colours as a light, medium and dark colour for the shadow areas.  I added the markers quickly, not too fussily and applied water using a size 4 Round brush. As you can see from the photo, I also added some more Gold Ochre in places, just to make the colour of the petal richer.

photo 1 (2)Another reason I did this is because when you are doing, ‘wet-on-dry’, sometimes the base colour can get ‘picked-up’ by the extra water you are using on the next layer of colour.  This can lead to lighter, slightly bleached-out areas… but as you can see by the photo above, sometimes this can be used to give you lighter highlighted areas.

photo 4I worked quite methodically and did each petal in the same way, working in a clockwise fashion, all the way around.  On some of the petals, I would leave bits of the first Gold Ochre colour untouched and they became bright highlights.

DAHLIA MOONFIRE: The Centre

When all the petals were done, it was time to do the centre and this had to be quite dark because it was not catching the light like the translucent petals were. I used virtually no extra Gold Ochre, but lots of Flame Red, Raspberry & Bitterwood.

photo 3

 After adding the marker colour, I worked it around using a small size 4 Round brush.

centre

The small stamen that were poking out from the centre got left until last and they did get a touch of Gold Ochre, just to show they were catching the light and to make them stand-out.

When the centre was completed, the whole painting was FINISHED!

WATCH my YouTube video tutorial of this painting HERE:

Thanks for watching! NEXT UP… Painting a Forest Mushroom scene.

My YouTube channel, gee massam art.


Find me on:  FACEBOOK    –    YOUTUBE     –     TWITTER     –     REDBUBBLE
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me :D

 

About gee massam

Gee is a full-time carer who draws, paints and illustrates. He has used markers extensively since 2012 and has gotten into using Aquamarkers in the last 2 years. As a long-time watercolour painter, he is still working out all the effects that you can achieve with them.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to How to paint a Dahlia Moonfire Flower with Aquamarkers, pt. 2; the petals

  1. Rosy June 14, 2013 at 5:57 am #

    That was very nicely done, the finished product is really lovely. Thanks for sharing. Love the salt effect. I’ve only just discovered AquaMarkers and still playing with them to see what they can do. :)

    • Gee355 June 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

      Thank you! Use them on the right paper and they are very impressive! 190gsm Bockingford, ‘St Cuthberts Mill’. :D

Leave a Reply